Sibelius 8 is here: The new Sibelius looks a lot like the old one

by Philip Rothman on June 18, 2015 · 71 comments

File compatibility

Interestingly, if you work on a Sibelius 8.0 file and save it, you can open it straight away in Sibelius 7.5 without needing to export it first from Sibelius 8 as a 7.5 file, as long as there are no annotations in the file. This seems to work even if you have added annotations and deleted them later. You can, of course, use File > Export > Previous Version to export a Sibelius 8 file to 7.5 and earlier, all the way back to Sibelius 2.

If you do try to open a Sibelius 8 file with annotations in Sibelius 7.5, you’ll get an error message:

open

The file compatibility may have been a happy accident for the time being, because Avid has said not to rely on re-opening a Sibelius 8 file in Sibelius 7.5 in this way. Although it may work today, it’s likely to change as Sibelius is updated in the future, making exporting necessary. This is unfortunate, since there will now be three versions in wide use that all basically look the same — 7, 7.5, and 8 (with 8 not even clearly identified as a new version) — so if you collaborate with others, you’re going to have to take special care to keep your file formats straight.

Should you upgrade?

The focus on features and improvements that take advantage of the Surface and similar Windows devices will be welcomed by those users, and coincides nicely with a general resurgence of interest in Microsoft products and Windows software. But rather than being designed from the ground up for these newer technologies, Sibelius 8 is retrofitting older software to use them in ways that have yet to prove useful for its workflow. Ultimately, you’ll still need a decently powered computer with a full keyboard to truly make the most of Sibelius, just as you did before. Whether this is merely a toe to test the waters of the Surface or part of a larger effort to continue to develop Sibelius for these machines remains to be seen.

The only actual new feature when it comes to how your scores will actually look is the annotations feature. The rest of the program appears to be basically untouched, save for the optimizations necessary for the Surface and other Windows high-DPI displays; the playback options are exactly the same as Sibelius 7.5 and the notation options are exactly the same as they were in Sibelius 7. In fact, other than the improved graphic support and the text overhaul that were introduced in 7, the music engraving features themselves basically haven’t budged since Sibelius 6. So if you are happy with 6 and were unconvinced by the workflow and interface improvements in 7 (even with a transition guide to help), you will not be persuaded by Sibelius 8.

There are a couple of subtle but important changes to system requirements in Sibelius 8 from Sibelius 7.5. Sibelius 8 is 64-bit only, which means that if you are accustomed to running it in 32-bit mode so that you can use any 32-bit audio plug-ins with it, you’ll need to replace them with 64-bit versions. Likewise, Sibelius 8 will only run on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 (SP1 or later) or Windows 8.1 or higher.

Sibelius 7.5 on the left, with 32-bit support, and Sibelius 8.0 on the right, without it

Also, on the Mac side, Sibelius 8 will only run on Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or higher — no more support for 10.6 through 10.8. If your Mac still runs one of those earlier operating systems, you’ll need to stick with Sibelius 7.5.

At $199 for a crossgrade, Sibelius 8.0 is still a fine product when compared to its current competitors — but not when compared to the most recent Sibelius upgrade. Paying $89 for hardly anything at all, especially on the Mac side, makes the $50 upgrade to Sibelius 7.5 from Sibelius 7 seem like the deal of the century, although it is worth noting that the all licenses also now include support (unlimited online incidents and one phone call per month), previously a $29 value, plus any software upgrades that are released during the license term. I’d suggest that Avid at least make the medicine go down easier and offer the first year of the perpetual upgrade to 8 at a special price of $39 for any existing users of Sibelius 7.5.

Assuming that Avid doesn’t take that advice (but hey, you never know), you’ll have a full year — through June 30, 2016 — to see how development progresses before you’ll no longer be eligible for the $89 perpetual upgrade price. At that point you’ll have to choose between a new full-price perpetual license or renewable subscription.

Even then, though, no existing Sibelius user should really ever need to pay the full $689 price for a perpetual license, as long as Avid and its competitors continue to offer a crossgrade option. See, you could crossgrade to another program — Notion offers a crossgrade for as little as $69 — and then crossgrade back to Sibelius for $199 for a total of $268, save more than $400, and own more software, besides.

Conclusions

When 7.5.0 first appeared, it was rough around the edges. It took another four months, but when 7.5.1 came out it was a very solid “point” update, and it is the most stable version of Sibelius. Sibelius 8.0 builds on that stability, and that’s a bright spot. Perhaps 8.0.1 and future more solid updates will follow, in time. But right now, Avid is essentially asking customers to pay them now and trust them to develop the product in a way that makes annual license and support fees worthwhile. At least the perpetual upgrade offer for existing users doesn’t expire until the end of June 2016, so if you currently own Sibelius, you have a full year from now to see what transpires.

Sam Butler has said that Avid has “a strong plan for the next few years… We’re aiming for a steady release of features for Sibelius itself, including some much needed technical work under the hood as well as some attention to the notation and user experience side of the application.” Sam referred to the 7.5.1 release as a “‘get healthy’ release by hardening the code and fixing some really important stability issues that had been in the program for several years.”

That stability was welcome, and indeed necessary. No one wants to work in fear of their essential software crashing regularly, which often happened when using the first major release of a new Sibelius version. But Avid must make sure that code-hardening doesn’t become code-ossification. Whether future updates will similarly be built on top of existing code without adding new engraving features is a legitimate question right now, especially for users deciding to commit to one of the license plans.

The current state of Sibelius reminds me of what Leonard Bernstein said when asked about Aaron Copland’s music: “It’s the best we’ve got, you know.” Whether or not the compliment was intended to have a detractive element — as if better music might come along from someplace else — has always been up for debate.

One could say the same about Sibelius, when talking about desktop notation-based scoring programs. It is still a remarkable program that can do a staggering number of things, and does them mostly very well. Yes, there are other applications with which you can write music, produce published-quality engravings, churn out lots of commercial charts, work directly with video and timecode, use ReWire and third-party AU and VST samples, play and create realistic audio demos, and export files into a variety of other formats. Sibelius is the only one with which you can do them all, and in a 64-bit application to boot. That’s quite a feat.

Yet the increasingly gnawing feeling is that the vision, pace of innovation, and (crucially) the sheer available man-hours that made all of those things possible are gone from Sibelius’s development. I will be more than delighted for it to be proven otherwise as the new subscription and update scheme gets underway, especially if significant new features improve the scoring and notation experience. Or perhaps something better than Sibelius will eventually come along.

For now, it’s the best we’ve got, you know.

Bob Zawalich June 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Thanks, Philip. This was a great review and answered a lot of questions I had.

Bernie Cossentino June 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for the review Philip,

Just as I suspected.
I’ll wait a year, then we’ll see…

Bernie

Brad June 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM

“Yet the increasingly gnawing feeling is that the vision, pace of innovation, and (crucially) the sheer available man-hours that made all of those things possible are gone from Sibelius’s development. ”

sadly… I agree. I doubt I will be upgrading for the cost of what I receive in return..

Kevin June 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM

not an upgrade as such then?

Alex June 18, 2015 at 3:11 PM

It’s always interesting when the whole 64-bit “feature” is touted as much of a special commodity. I mean, I understand that in certain VST-related cases why it’d be desirable for the application to be able to use 64-bit address space, but it’s still a feature that should have less priority than engraving and user interface related upgrades.

To put it simply, with support for ReWire, most of the people who would really need the extra memory-handling capability have a better solution anyway. And I personally don’t think any notation/engraving software should need access to such swaths of memory (4 gb of allocated memory for any one application indicates general inefficiency, save for handling complex media like video editing).

So while I know it’s in vogue to tout the 64-bit capabilities of software like this, it’s often at the expense of more useful improvements.

Rob June 18, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Hey there, just wondering where you found that year deadline to get a support plan for current owners and if that applies to owners of Sibelius 7.

Thanks!

Philip Rothman June 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Rob, it’s in the FAQs posted by Sam Butler in the forum. I believe it applies to anyone holding a valid Sibelius license from 1 through 7.5.

Gerard June 18, 2015 at 3:30 PM

did i misunderstood the annoncement since the beginning ? that the pen / touch feature is not to write in manuscrit like it’s with a real pen, but just using the tablet pen feature like a mouse ??? i’m trying the trial with a Wacom Pen & Touch, and see nothing different as before on this matter. i tought they implanted something like notate me or staffpad but just for the writing note feature. did i misunderstood since the beginning ?

Philip Rothman June 18, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Gerard, that’s correct. Sibelius itself will not recognize handwritten notation with this latest upgrade. You can use the recently released NotateMe and send its output to Sibelius.

Agustìn April 7, 2016 at 6:32 PM

LOL. That’s a Sibelius classic fake feature. Like crappy rewire.. you can connect sibelius to your daw but the only thing that is useful for is sync the playing bar..

Vince June 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM

At some point, it seems that we will have to make an upgrade decision. …if not now, later. The real question in my mind is why anyone would ever do # 1 below, when #2 is far cheaper:

#1) pay $20/month to license software and risk loosing all access to it, it they unsubscribe.

#2) pay $89/yr and at some point if you do not want to pay anymore, you get to keep & use the software.

………..or did I misunderstand your financial comparison?

Philip Rothman June 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Vince, you’re generally right, except that if you pay the $89 for the year and then stop paying, you won’t get future upgrades, and, if you don’t renew your upgrade plan after a grace period which Avid says will be about a month, you won’t be eligible for the $89 plan again — you’ll have to move to the $20/mo subscription (or do the crossgrade dance as I described).

For now, all existing license holders have a year — until June 30, 2016 — to decide whether or not to get on the upgrade train.

Vince June 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Hi Philip,

I was assuming that once you started paying the $89/yr, then you would continue unless you decided to jump off the renewal chain (not to return). …meaning that you felt that your current version was as far as you needed to go with that software, so why bother spending more money. …in the case of the $89 choice, one can do that since the software would still work.

I did not think someone would say renew for a year or two and then take a sabbatical for a while and try to get back in the zone renewing again.

Philip Rothman June 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Right, I think that’s what Avid is planning on. But there are people who skip versions, and, after next year, they will be no longer eligible for upgrade pricing the way they used to be.

Terence Jones June 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Well I’m afraid I’m going to be playing the waiting game on this one. I’m pretty happy right now with 7.5 and can see no reason to pay out £89 for what look like minimal improvements.

Bob June 18, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Thanks for the review, Philip.

I’ve been with Sibelius on the Mac since version 2. I’ll renew next year before the deadline unless something useful is added sooner. Hopefully Steinberg’s application will be released before too long. I’m sorry to see what has happened to Sibelius, and plan to cease doing business with Avid as soon as practical.

Engela Fullard August 4, 2015 at 5:25 AM

I think a lot of loyal(?) Sibelius users share your sentiments, Bob!

Darian December 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Same here. Using Sibelius on the Mac since version 2. Currently switched back to V6 (can’t stand this banner thing at the top, coming from Windows) and for sure not going to a sub model to use a piece of software.

Sad to see Sibelius die for me. But alas, there are alternatives. Like the already mentioned application from Steinberg.

David June 18, 2015 at 8:56 PM

It’s bizarre, I’ll give it that. In 20+ years of purchasing software, I’ve never come across anything close to this: It’s Sibelius 7.5 with a crude way of drawing on it like MS Paint from the 80s. That’s it.

I like Sibelius, really. I don’t want to change to the new product or the “other” product. But c’mon. “Wait and see” doesn’t apply anymore= we did that and got a way to scribble. “Underwhelmed” doesn’t apply, it’s the same exact product with a mandatory $90 fee. Based on what they have done since the “underwhelming” 7.5, I’m expecting nothing more in the next 365 days, and hope I’m proven wrong.

Christian June 18, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Is it still possible to update to Sib 7.5?
I don’t want to use Sib8, because it needs OS X 10.9

Very sad what’s happening with Avid.

Philip Rothman June 19, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Christian, you can still purchase a Sibelius 7.5 upgrade from Amazon, and probably other retail stores as well.

Gerry June 19, 2015 at 12:20 AM

I am disappointed of version 8 new features, I was expecting much more important notation and formatting features options. The Sound Library and the play back are still using the same sounds set 7. The new scheme to get us to pay yearly with for very deceiving tech support program does not make me

Michael Kummer June 19, 2015 at 3:15 AM

No surprise. With the demise of the London Sibelius team, this stunning program lost every focus and Avid obviously has no real interest or the expertise of developing the thing further. Lets hope and see what comes from Hamburg in the future.

Bob Ross June 19, 2015 at 9:06 AM

The demo for the current Sibelius (8 or 2015) is not very responsive to the Surface Pen for note input on my Surface 3 (4G). The program itself seems to install and run fine (including playback) but the only reason for me to upgrade now would be if the pen input was an plus…right now I don’t feel it…
Of course current Sib doesn’t have handwriting recognition, the pen just can be used positioning selection.

Erasing with the pen isn’t anywhere near what it should be. Face it, fixing things in Sib is a pain…it wants to do what it wants to do… I would rather be in charge….

I usually have to delete the whole measure and start over…those damn greyed out rests drive me crazy!!!

Peter Roos June 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the review Philip, this is very helpful.

Julian Brown June 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

The Sibelius 8 trial for Mac doesn’t seem to work. Downloaded to try out and just crashes as soon as I click ‘Continue Trial’ :(

Madelon Michel June 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM

I still use Sibelius 6 and as it does everything that I need I will not upgrade. I’m still sorry the “siblings” Ben and Jonathan sold out their wonderful program. But I can understand it after all the hard work they put into it!

Ranger the Arranger June 20, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Just played around with Sib 8 for a bit, not sure if it’s just me but it seems like it’s a bit more responsive. It could just be the clean install. Did anyone else notice this? I’m wondering if maybe it’s the fact that it’s exclusively 64 bit now – maybe they did some under the hood optimizations.

Also, I love the new keypad – the design of the old one always annoyed me…so antiquated!

Matt Smith June 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM

seems like Avid’s doing the same exact thing to Sibelius as they did Pro Tools. Frankly, I don’t see how it makes any sense to lock their own customers out of an upgrade for missing a yearly deadline. I’m just glad that it’s an ~$89 upgrade as opposed to a ~$600 upgrade. lol

Jorge Grundman June 21, 2015 at 3:53 AM

Did you get notice than now you can install Sibelius 8 on as many computers you wish instead the old two installations scheme for Sibelius 7.5 and prior?

For me this is a very good news

Jorge Grundman June 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Finally the FAQ from Sibelius 2015 is wrong. You only have two activations as ever. They must fix this misinformation.

Andy June 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Typical Avid, don’t be fooled by them, the whole thing is a con… They will steadily increase the price each year, you keep paying more for less.

Jeremy June 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM

No improvements to the interface. Still didn’t fix glitches that we’ve found workarounds for… The only major change is the new ripoff pricing SCAM. Pathetic…

Cat June 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Sibelius user since 1.0, upgraded to V2 V3, & recently V7.5 after years away. Sadly after today I think Sibelius is finished and Avid are cutting their own throats!! RIP Sibelius :-(

Cat June 24, 2015 at 6:18 PM

The big hole in Avid’s thinking is that why should anyone fork out for a new licence if they decide they don’t need to upgrade that year after owning a perpetual licence. People may get involved with other software like I did on other types if projects and not need the scoring facilities of Sibelius and decide at a later date when projects dictate to upgrade.
Maybe Avid believe people in this situation will be forced into the subscription option, but they also could just as easily walk away altogether to another program and there are quite a few!
Avid seem to have a short term focus that’s what my intuition is telling me, make profit now at the risk of losing long term customers. Maybe that’s the way the CEO’s want it but it won’t last.
Make a quick buck vs losing the goodwill and loyalty of your kong term customers isn’t the way to go!
Yamaha the owners of Steinberg must be loving this!!

Andy Power June 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Sibelius R.I.P.
Have also been a user since version 1.
I really am beginning to understand why so many people use crack copy’s of software, especially when company like Avid treat their customers like shit.
Great policy – buy our software and then keep paying for it every year?
yes, Yamaha the owners of Steinberg must be loving this!!

Stan July 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM

I have been a user since Sib 2 and have loved using it through 6. I have 7 & 7.5, but not really liking them. Now 8 has zero additional features except if you run out and buy a Surface tablet. Even then, VERY limited features. Now we are getting Avid holding a gun to our heads.

Rooting for Daniel Spreadbury and team to hurry up and get their product out soon!!!!

Ray Mizzi July 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM

So in simple terms, what is the update giving us? Why did I pay 89$ ?

oddy July 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM

With AVID everything is about more money .. just like my 11Rack .. no more updates or support whatsoever .. pathetic company run by greedy people ..

Christian July 31, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Well, I upgraded and have messed around with it a bit. Save for the iOS-style updates to the Keypad and Transport pallets, you’d really have no clue that you weren’t simply working with v. 7.5. It *might* be a little zippier with large scores…but that could be my imagination.

The Avid Licensing Manager, while not horrible, seems unnecessary. I really think that this is the major new feature…for Avid, though, not the users: a DRM tool and the subscription model.

I guess the most compelling reason to upgrade at this point is that (presumably) Avid will keep this version regularly and promptly updated with new releases of OS X? And perhaps the next incremental updates will include something more compelling.

So, unless you’re a stickler for having the absolute latest, or unless you’re a Surface user, this is essentially Sibelius 7.5.5.

foss August 26, 2015 at 2:17 PM

OS X spotlight / finder preview of sibelius files is broken. Avid, pathetic as usual. Can’t wait for Steinberg to get into the notation game and show Avid and MakingMusic Finale how it’s done.

David August 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM

I still could not see the big difference. I don’t mean the format. Hopefully it is not changed. However, apart from some new windows and the capacity to export video, I still find all the old bugs that we the users have been for years trying to fixed. To may big disappointment, now in Sibelius 8 I cannot “select” a series of note with the funtion SHIFT and the mouse, it simple does not happen. I have avoided to update sibelius in my lapton, I think the previous version is still better. Now, could someone tell me how to select partcial notes with the shift + righ mouse click?

Wuiyeon October 6, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Do you use mac? Then hold down command and click the notes with mouse.

Jamal September 10, 2015 at 12:18 AM

I was a Sibelius user until version 6. I became more and more disappointed so that I never upgraded. Two years ago, I heard about a new software called Notion. Though I think Sibelius is superior I decided to switch and I suggest every one does so. It lacks many of the Sibelius features but it is so visual and convenient to use that I forgot Sibelius for good. This Version 8 brings nothing new for me.

Composer October 8, 2015 at 3:56 AM

As I explained to AVID previously, I only have a small Download capacity, so my friend kindly offered to Download from My account the two Installation files for Sibelius 8.0.1 + the large ‘ Sound Library ‘ (some 23+GB) so I can back them up on a USB (32GB)

She has tried several times, but when it got to 99% Downloaded of the Sound Library, it crashes!

How the hell can I reinstall if I have a major system crash when the Download keeps failing?

She even uses a Download safety program that carries on from where the Download fails, but it doesn’t work when trying to download that Sibelius Sound Library as after 3 times trying it gives an error ‘ cannot resume ‘ at 99% of the Download!

Does any one have an actual ‘ direct email ‘ address as their website sends you around in unhelpful circles!

Any helpful solutions please?

Robert October 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM

I’ve been using Sibelius since version 6, with gratitude for its beauty and usefulness.

Software developers have families and bills too. The money we pay allows Avid and companies like theirs to plan staff and other costs with greater confidence.

The very freedom we as users had in the past to buy or skip an upgrade meant that the company often had no idea how much would be coming into their coffers, and thus couldn’t plan effectively.

Some of those upgrades were pretty expensive, too, with not everyone able to lay out the price all in one go. I see the new subscription model as an attempt to try to establish the business on a more reliable footing.

It is, after all, a business. Heav’n forfend that a business should not just be able to pay its staff but should also – cringe – turn a profit!

I was very angry when Adobe went the same way, with their ‘Creative Cloud’ business model. But now I’ve come to accept and even to appreciate the new model.

It’s the way all high-end software is going. As developer time becomes more expensive, the products will follow suit, eventually making it impossible to put the stuff out at what most of us would a reasonable price.

I came ’round to it in the end; perhaps some of you will too. Change isn’t nice but it is inevitable.

(written while downloading Sibelius Sounds, could’ve gone on for four hours…)

Cat October 18, 2015 at 6:32 AM

Change isn’t nice but it is inevitable.

I disagree, changes may happen, but this model is not inevitable…..

Something will always evolve to compete…..just look at the dollar and BRICS etc… Rome….etc..

Robert October 18, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Thanks for your comment, Cat.

I think you’re saying that Change itself is inevitable but that the subscription model now adopted by Avid, Adobe, Microsoft and others was by no means inevitable and that, therefore, some other model was available to them; a model they chose to leave aside in favour of the current one.

If that’s what you mean, then you are correct. I believe that this model itself will evolve into one in which all major software will be delivered by subscription, and that the option to ‘purchase’ a license will be removed. The current system is transitional.

Thanks again; you gave me pause for thought! Now installing Sibelius Sounds… (sigh). Why can’t they give it to us on a pen drive or something?

Cat March 2, 2016 at 4:06 AM

If a small company like Ableton can produce such a cool piece of software and survive for over a decade without a subscription model then so can Adobe and Avid.
This isn’t about families of employees it’s about shareholders and CEO perks etc.
It’s happening everywhere even in safety critical industries, profit, profit , profit…until something goes tits up like with NASA on two occasions?

david December 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM

No one wants the Avid Application Manager to open when they start their computer, c’mon Avid.

Jackie Robertson December 31, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Most of my Sib6 .sib files have disappeared! How can I find them again, please? (PLEASE!!)

Composer December 31, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Perhaps you could contact AVID and ask them?

HeroicOnes January 23, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Thank you alot for this review! Very well written and informative. You stay on the subject and are critical without being cynical – reading this had me nodding in agreement throughout!

Personally, I feel that with Sibelius 7, we have pretty much reached a pinnacle of notation software – there is not a whole lot in terms of features you can actually add that would revolutionise anything. Features like the Annotations seem like re-inventing the wheel at this point, it is not like I could just use the existing text features to leave notes for collaborators.
What I would like to see is improved play recognition. Every tried actually recording midi from your master keyboard to speed things up? Even if you get the latency callibration spot-on, fixing the midi Sibelius writes is almost as much work as writing it by hand int he first place. New Algorythms that enable it to pick up on your playstyle, perhaps even improve as you go along – THAT would be a reason for me to upgrade.

Another point where AVID could really make some users happy is external connectivity; Many people dream of hooking it up to their Cubase or Logic and write notes that can then trigger their high-end libraries in a production DAW. And while it IS posibble to do, it is a pain-in-the-butt to pull off and even once you get it right, you have no easy way of let’s say, hook up expression text to trigger a keystroke in a Master sample loaded in your cubase track. Giving us a simple grid to programm what text sends which midi command would be incredibbly useful (and I bet it is not hard to implement). I hope someone at AVID does read this and take it into consideration; Team up with Steinberg and the other major DAW studios, collaborate and give us easy plug n’ play ways to hook Sibelius together with their DAW’s and I guarnatee you, people will gladly upgrade to Version 8 ~

Cat January 24, 2016 at 3:26 AM

I totally agree with your comments those kind of features would be great.
Trouble is I don’t think Avid will do anything like this?
Something has to be done though, either way push will come to shove when Steinberg release their offering.
Hopefully Avid are working on developing features like you highlight.

Whoever has the greatest vision for their products either Avid, Steinberg or someone else will reap the rewards and those with the least will and vision will perish commercially.

HeroicOnes January 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Thank you! I am glad I’m not the only one who would cherish such features.

I cincirely hope that the Sibelius production Team will come up with something truly new and helpful, regardless of what it may be in the end. At this point, I feel eerily reminded of a another big piece of Software from AVID that failed to impress in recent updates *caugh* Pro Tools *caugh*.

Stubby February 23, 2016 at 2:59 AM

Hi
This is all because the Sibelius owners sold out to Avid.

What’s to stop the Sibelius production team selling out to somebody else.

Finale is laughing all the way to the bank.

stuby

John February 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Looks like I stick with Sibelius V 6.2 until it dies or I do. (Coming up 82).
Current version running on Windows 10 sometimes sound cuts out during playback. Reboot gets it up again. Could be the size of the score running out of instruments, or maybe the sound card not good enough, but I think I will put up with that rather than try an upgrade.

Harry Harrison March 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM

The more probable reason for Microsoft going straight from Windows 8 to Windows 10, is to avoid confusion with the much older Windows 95 and 98 operating systems, often grouped as Windows 9x.

Justin March 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM

That’s almost it, Harry.

Microsoft skipped over Windows 9 because programmers used to search for the version of Windows by looking for “windows 9” to match both 95 and 98 because the underpinnings were so similar (where the alternatives may be 3.1, Me, 2000, and so on).

Andrew Broadbent March 28, 2016 at 6:15 AM

Sibelius 8 is great, but have discovered a problem with exporting audio. All the forum advice so far hasn’t given me the answer / HELP! I am running it on WIndows 10

Composer March 28, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Why not contact AVID directly as all else has failed?

Dr Michael Thompson March 30, 2016 at 3:53 AM

Interesting debate and comments and observations above, and very much what one would expect; but the question remains, WHY WHY WHY have AVID made their whole system so opaque and impenetrable, and expensive! The website is unnnavigable, downloads including free updates are awkward and slow, it’s as if they really don’t want to know unless you are willing to spend a ton of dough. In conclusion, I started using the original and genuine SIBELIUS almost from day one when the brothers were in control, and it was friendly and helpful and accommodating. And now it is not. Sad.

Carol Matthews April 28, 2016 at 4:58 PM

I have lost the Status Bar on my first piece on Sibelius 8. Can any one tell me how to get it back? Please?

John McFarling May 9, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I just bought the Siblius 8, and now I am reading these comments. Is there any reason to upgrade if the program is working fine for you? I have got many programs that are old versions and still due what I bought them for. A few of them crashed due to Microsoft upgrades but most are still working fine like Cakewalk. Cakewalk still makes music with out upgrading.

Amadeus June 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I appreciate almost all the reviews and comments especially since I was about to upgrade fm v7 to v8. I’m fine staying w 7 thru perpetuity but will pay the fee for the upgrade if there’s good substance to be gained.

Many years ago I purchased two twenty-year licenses for some chemical engineering software. I paid about $18,000 for each license. A few years later the pricing policy changed such that perpetual licenses were grandfathered in and only annual fee payers of $20,000 could get the software. It truly gave me a competitive edge.

In this case, I’d be tempted to pay $89 per yr if there was something unique to be gained in future upgrades. I tend to use Sibelius mainly for big scores and have written 6 symphonies for large orchestras. Since generally the comments suggest nothing to be gained from going to v8, I will wait until there is a worthwhile upgrade of substance. I realize then that Avid will likely require us to pay for every year we have skipped in order to get the sought after upgrade at that time. Pay me now, pay me later: I choose to maybe pay them later.

Wendy simpson August 4, 2016 at 7:49 PM

What does it cost to upgrade to sib 8 from sib 6
How do I install

Wendy simpson August 4, 2016 at 7:50 PM

I just need a single license and one off payment . I’m a teacher

Michael Caldwell August 18, 2016 at 11:29 PM

All this saddens me. I have 7.5 and will probably keep it for as long as I can. I jumped on Sibelius at version 3. I was a frustrated Finale user, and found out that every time they released an update, not only did they want a lot of money for the update, but that the update was adding features that already existed in Sibelius. I jumped and was happy. Then Sibelius was sold to Avid and I could see the writing on the wall. Big company wants big money whilst putting as little effort as possible in improvement. I get how company’s are going to subscription. However, you have to make it worth people’s while or they are going to bolt. I will use what I have and not upgrade. Personally, I have all that I need.

roger February 13, 2017 at 9:29 PM

One word (or two perhaps): musescore.

I can no longer tolerate Sibelius. It is not the programme it once was. It has become like every bad word-processor programme or bloated, unmanageable DAW. And the pricing is obscene.

Of course they’ll argue it’s because they cater to the professional media market, but that’s not the bulk of their users.

I just want a programme to work, not need to have a terabyte of sound files for rendering or need a minicomputer to run it. At this juncture I’ll pit free soundfonts used in musescore against Sibelius+noteperformer any day of the week. The difference is negligible.

Avid can whistle.

Jale Dee March 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Help!!! Can someone help me on how minimize my manuscript a Large A4 Paper to a standard Marching Music size part, Many Thanx

Jale Dee March 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Can someone help me on how to minimize my instrumentation parts after Extracting parts from the Score ? I am finding difficulty in trying to align and minimize spacing to be able to fit an Instrument Lyre when Marching