Have your say in the future of Sibelius

by Daniel Spreadbury on October 31, 2011 · 21 comments

After every major new Sibelius version release, we like to ask you, our customers, about your opinion of the latest version. Have you upgraded? If not, why not? If you did upgrade, has the product lived up to your expectations?

And, most fun of all, you get to provide us with your feedback on a bunch of possible future features, and let us know what you would like us to work on in future versions of the program.

Your feedback really┬áis important to us. Every new feature that has been added to Sibelius over the last several versions has been in direct response to feedback from our customers, so don’t miss the opportunity to make your voice heard!

To take the survey, click here.

Bernhard Eder October 31, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Sibelius 7 is a nice upgrade to Version 6, I still have to discover a great deal of it.

But still there are things I’d like to see in an Sibelius Upgrade without having to use costum plugins or absolute expert tricks which consume a great deal of time:

-) A better interconnection with the Vienna Symphonic Library (e.g. right sample keyswitches without having to add extra commands etc.) —> like the Sibelius Player for instance ;-)
-) the possibility to influence the thickness and angles of Brackets (for accel./rit. brackets in contemporary music)
-) a better way to make graphic & space notation (for aleatoric music etc.), without having to make 20/4-Bars and so on which easily can screw up your layout
-) the possibility to easier make cut-away-score (see http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tutorials/learning-more-advanced-cut-away-score-techniques/)

Keep up the great work ;-)

Connor Helms November 1, 2011 at 2:00 AM

You need a much more intuitive guitar/tabbing interface. Steve Jobs ripped the gui from Xerox, why not grab a few ideas from guitar pro 6 to make things easier in sibelius 8? that way I only would need sibelius rather than multiple notation softwares for different instruments.

Rieg November 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I have request for making the player better in Sibelius (i.e. working with it).

It would be much quicker and better if the green vertical player marker was grabable by the mouse. This is something one can do in most DAW’s, -just grab the position marker with the mouse and drag it back to the point where you want the player to start from. I know about the “P” trick, but then only that instrument’s staff is played. That also means one have to click outside the staff to get the whole arrangement played each and every time. This again also means five(!!!) operations for each time one wants to go back and re-play something, like;

1. Left click on bar with the mouse,
2. Hit “P”,
3. Hit the space bar quickly to pause right here,
4. Left click outside the staff with the mouse,
5. Hit space bar again to play.

6. Repeat step 1-5 above for the next re-play :(

It would have been much easier to just grab the green marker with the mouse and re-positioned it… -and hitting space bar again. When I write music, the superior thing I do most often is to re-position the player for a re-play. I really miss doing this with less operations and it would be a great time saver too.

Sibelius ARE great and the best, but there are some improvements I am amazed are not there for “eons ago” ;)

-Rieg-

Peter McAleer November 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

As the author of the cut-away tutorial he mentions I couldn’t agree more with Bernhard Eder. The techniques I had to describe there are clunky and awkward. Compare that with the standards Sibelius has set itself in other areas of notation. The tools needed for modern score presentation are sadly lacking. Not their biggest money spinner I suppose. But imagine the publicity in having the the greatest, most forward looking avant-garde scores prepared in Sibelius with ease. What better publicity?

Daniel Spreadbury November 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Or you can use Ctrl+Space, which replays from the last position you started playback, which is just one step.

Rieg November 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Daniel,

I am embarrassed. I didn’t knew about the Ctrl-Space, so thank you so much for that one.

The mouse grab of the player marker will still be an imrovement though ;)

Thank you again!

-Rieg-

Bang November 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I have a 6.2 version. Can I still get the upgrade ver ?

Henrik Budde November 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Hi,

I have not upgraded my Sib. 6 yet since I am still running OS 10.5.8 and need to be sure it is worth it;-).
I love what the programme does, but still I often find things that could be easier done (and sorry for making the longest post ever!).
Since I just finished a larger score (parts and forwords included) I have a long list of hopes regarding the new version 7 and maybe You could enlighten me if it is there now;-) (or if I missed it in version 6!):

- a tool (> view) that shows if a line (“lines…”) is 100% in level – defficult to see sometimes.
- the possibility of manipulating all “lines” – e.g. make the thick “beam” work vertically also or make it dotted.
- changing the size of symbols by draging.
- to keep the personal changes of e.g. noteheads etc. in every new score you create.
- The possibility to fasten “lines” to specific objects like a very specific note etc. so that for instance the lines does not get all over the place when you change staff size and other layout related things. (I now the magnetic layout does a little but this would save me hours).
- at the same time small “handles” on all objects (lines, text, symbols, etc) which make it possible to attach different objects with each other and again control the layout 100%.
- A more flexible system of making/deleting title pages. When creating forewords etc. it is annoying that I can only delete the page closest to the score (?).
-Also I made one foreword for the score and 6 different for the parts – it would save me tons of hours again if there was a feature like “dublicate” the score version to parts e.g. “make full score foreword fit size of parts”.
- In the same foreword:
I had a whole page with text and needed small staffs with instrument range etc.. So I figured I had to import the graphic (even though I made it in Sibelius;-)) and place it on the page where I kind of thought was the right place, then move the text back (because there’s no layers like in photoshop, so I can’t move the graphic around without moving the text). And back and forth 20 times or so. Solution? make it possible to insert graphics and symbols etc. IN the text styles by right clicking in any text style – it would be brilliant.
(the same would make it so much easier to create footnotes where the chosen symbol to direct the reader to the footnote etc. was incorporated int he text itself).
Likewise, sometimes symbols, text, images etc. get so close in the score that it gets very time consuming to “catch” the right one in the go (complex scores, I know). Why not make a short cut so that if you for instance typed, let’s say, ctrl + mouse click (just an ex.) then you would get hold on the layer futhers back (very useful when for instant people use graphic elements in the preface of a score and have a lot of text at the same time – not having to move all the text everytime the graphic has to be adjusted… I used like 6 hours making 6 “forewords” in a score to each player with small personal adjustments).
- Glissandi (also automatic keypad gliss.) between gracenotes.
- The possibility of attaching items between normal notes and gracenotes.
- An on/off buttom for “misura” and “senza misura”, to make cadenzas etc. much easier? (of course it has to be possible to do that in only one system at a time).
- More use of “right clicking” so that I can e.g. choose a single barline in one instrument and delete it/change it without all the other instruments are affected. Not the way where I have to delete the barline for all the instruments and then using “lines” to make the “barlines” in all but a single instrument.
(why not make it possible to change e.g. text style, size, font etc. just by a right click?).
- A drawing tool so I don’t have to buy illustrator;-) (like Steven Powell pointed out in “Music Engraving Today”).
- The possibility to “delete” or hide any single object visible.
- The possibility of filtering “stems”.
- A button that makes a mathing paranthesis fit on any selected object (text, symbol, line, etc.).
- The same way that the dynamic expressions can be “built into cresc./dim.” hairpins – it would be very usefull if the same would be possible when it came to all “lines”, arrows etc. when they cross each other (all text styles e.g., symbols, other lines etc.).
- The possibility of making different sections with different, very specific engraving rules, staff size etc. (down to bar-level).
……

That’s it;-)…

Best,

Henrik

Daniel Spreadbury November 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Yes, you can upgrade to Sibelius 7 from any previous version of Sibelius.

Mike Davis November 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I didn’t know about the Ctrl+Space (Opt+Space on the Mac, right?) thing either! Thanks for that, Daniel.

Bruno V. November 2, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Hi, Daniel

Maybe it will be a good idea to include a midi view/editor mode for creating CC envelopes within Sibelius, instead of having to import back a midi file from some DAW after doing some changes to CC continous controllers over “continous” time. This feature could be specially useful when working with a VSTi at full potencial and sending MIDI data and messages that would be difficult to include in patches’ switches of the sound set (or when a switch only activates a default value of a continous controller, but much more control over the patches’ articulations is allow).

Also it would be great to include complete documentation – more extended that it already is – about midi commands send by the playback dictionary when no sound ID is available, midi commands that the built-in Sibelius Payer engine understands (important when working with Sibelius 7 Sounds) and midi commands that Sibelius 7 Sounds patches use as sound parameters or controllers numbers (much like a MIDI implementation chart for the Sibelius components – and built-in Sibelius MIDI Device: Built-in Sibelius Player – for channel voice messages, channel mode messages and system messages ).

Best regards,

Bruno

Carl Rosman November 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I couldn’t agree more with Peter McAleer’s point: it would be wonderful for a bit more attention to be given to the needs of contemporary classical composers and surely being able to point to scores out of the ordinary and say ‘Sibelius can do this too’ would be great publicity. Some of what Sibelius is missing would be very simple programming compared with playback options and the like.

What I have always missed in the bigger notation programs is a realistic option for truly proportional notation: a crotchet takes up twice the space of a quaver, which takes up twice the space of a semiquaver, etc. Many composers working with complex rhythms have used this in their handwritten scores and it’s a great help to the performer. It can only be approximated in Sibelius 6, and that by a very messy and still not really effective workaround.

You can get it in Lilypond just by specifying two parameters: proportionality and ragged right margins. Surely a Sibelius plugin would be a simple matter?

Bent Hjort, Denmark November 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Thank You for the 7 version.

Like others i am just diggin in to the new version. So therefore my requests maybe possible in the 7 version.

Im writing a lot materials for young kids for large concert band. Im using a lot of imported graphic. So therefore:

- the possibility to filter graphics.
- the possibility to import graphics into the symbol menu (like colored solfege)

I find the export menu very good. Allthough:

- is it possible to export audio as a mp3?
- Export audio/midi: The possibility to select a 2 bar count-in on a audiofile, for better rehearsal opportunities for my students? I know I can create to extra bars in the score but then those two bars will also show in every parts.
- the possibility to export as a YouTube video with sound of the score, single part or selection of the score + video of scrolling part(s) or score.

Its nice with the searchbox in the upper right corner and the menues are ok ordered. But I would really be glad to see the possibility to create an extra personally tab in the ribbon, I can customize for the functions I mostly use.

Greetings – Bent

Brian Hamilton November 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Have definitely been enjoying the upgrade from 6 to 7. Got a nice surprise when I discovered that crescendos on one note now play back without having to run that plugin on it.
The ribbon was definitely a big improvement, and the way that it all matches very closely to Office made it quick to learn. Would be nice if it could be customised as well (a la Office).
One area that might be worth exploring in future is using Sibelius for musical examples in music articles, essays, etc. in MS Word. Currently, of course, this is through exporting little chunks as graphics, which works quite fine; but how about having ‘sibelius file’ on Word’s ‘insert > objects’ list, like you would for, say, an Excel spreadsheet: double click to open the actual file and adjust it rather than having to re-export a graphic, then re-insert it as a new picture and resize it etc. You’d probably want the sibelius file created in this process to be an ‘Idea’ rather than a full-blown score. I’m sure that you’d win the hearts of many musicologists and music students with this functionality!
Also, in the wonderful new mixer, it would be rather nice to be able to use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust faders as seen in many recording programs (and indeed Windows 7 Volume Control).
Other than that, keep working as you have been at making playback more realistic, making UI even better… You seem to be able to continue to come up with great improvements; well done!

Brian Hamilton November 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Sorry, three more things:
1) How about having mordents, turns, etc. as ‘articulations’ that automatically play back w/o plugin?
2) It would be nice if caesuras and pauses could ‘stick’ to barlines like articulations stick to notes.
3) An input map for ‘Mackie Control’, so that devices that are only mixer controllers (not keyboards with faders) could be used to control the Mixer.

Peter November 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

The best feature that would be great would be if Sibelius could automatically voice Large piano chords, allowing the upper note to play louder than the lower harmonies. Technically you can already do it by changing the top note of each chord to a different voice and having a dynamic to affect that particular voice, but that would make the music look a lot more messy.

Richard James November 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I want to second the above request for improved integration with the Vienna Symphonic Library, perhaps a faster way of setting up playback configurations(?) – presets of such?

Also, could the hairpin that goes down to nothing be programmed to automatically playback correctly?

michel heydemann November 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

There is a lot to be done around playback improvements, for instance hammer-on, pull-off, bend, etc for string instruments, guitar most notably. This would include a much better handling of sampled libraries, Sibelius own or external, which generally provide appropriate articulations for that, as well as better MIDI controlling abilities (like Cubase Expression Maps).

Currently the only way to do this is to output MIDI files and tweak them externally. Of course, the ability to export the exact MIDI file corresponding to the tweaked playback is important.

One point thought, Sibelius shouldn’t become a full mixing environment, just a better playback capability.

Bent Hjort November 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

2 things:

In export – PDF.
Nice to export score and parts in one file. Missing an extra “include” option for exporting all parts (in separate files) + score (pages in one file)

The “Parts” are a nice improvement. But I miss the opportunity to extract ex. 4 parts into a layout where each parts systems (ex. 3) is arrangeded one at a time. Hard to explain:

Now: (like in the score)

trumpet 1 (system 1)
trumpet 2 (system 1)
baritone horn 1 (system 1)
baritone horn 2 (system 1)

trumpet 1 (system 2)
trumpet 2 (system 2)
baritone horn 1 (system 2)
baritone horn 2 (system 2)

trumpet 1 (system 3)
trumpet 2 (system 3)
baritone horn 1 (system 3)
baritone horn 2 (system 3)

My wish:

Extracted parts i one overall part:

trumpet 1 (all 3 systems)
trumpet 2 (all 3 systems)
baritone horn 1 (all 3 systems)
baritone horn 2 (all 3 systems)

Andrei November 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

“the possibility to create an extra personally tab in the ribbon, that I can customize for the functions I mostly use.”

THAT would be terrific, or the possibility to switch to a sort of menu depending on the instrumentation of the piece, that would contain the common articulations, techniques, fingerings, etc. over others…

Btw, I’m VERY happy with Sibelius in general, and Ver 7 in particular…

Ryan Tanaka November 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Hi all, I’m a Ph.D student doing my degree in musicology — was currently interested in the intersections of electronic music and notation programs like Sibelius. I wrote an article about it here:

ok-m.us/2i

The program itself is great, but I’d like to see them cultivate the Score Exchange community a little bit more, and perhaps open up to the idea of allowing some scores to exist as a place to play things back in it of itself. I wrote a piece purely on the audio export function of Sibelius 7 and a lot of my friends couldn’t really tell the difference.

I think the younger composers in particularly would be interested in the idea, since it’s difficult for a lot of them to make a distinction between the software programs that they’ve grown up using anyway…